Due to a continued growing reputation, a fantastic opportunity has arisen for an experienced veterinary surgeon to join this modern, vibrant, independent and family owned practice. Based within this beautifully refurbished, flagship hospital nestled at the foot of the South Downs National Park in sunny West Sussex, they are ‘more than a vets’ – a family that uphold the values of respect, humility, professionalism and communication. They deliver a personal service that their clients deserve, delivered with real empathy and care – because it is how they would want to be treated themselves.
The candidate: they are looking for a driven and ambitious veterinary surgeon, ideally an Advanced Practitioner in Emergency and Critical Care or an experienced ECC vet who has worked in veterinary hospitals. The candidate will work alongside and complement the existing dynamic team of certificated vets and nurses as they further develop and grow their service.
They are proud to currently be the only independently owned hospital in the UK to have full RCVS accreditation as well as achieving outstanding status in all associated awards. In addition to this, SDEV shares its facilities with their sister service, which has 4 branches surrounding the hospital, all of which are accredited and designed to the highest standards with comprehensive facilities.
During the day, the sister service provide routine vet care as well as complex treatments by Advanced Practitioners in state of the art facilities. By night, SDEV delivers the highest standard of emergency and out of hours care to both patients and neighbouring subscriber practices from within their hospital. Teamwork and inclusivity are very important to them and one of their many strengths is the support they offer each other. The team are always available to support complex cases or the occasional exceptional caseload.
Continuity of care and exceptional communication with clients, colleagues and member practices is what sets them apart – the candidate needs to be passionate about providing the highest standards for their patients and a premium service for their clients.
- The role will involve seeing first opinion emergencies alongside providing continuous care for inpatients.
- An ability to efficiently investigate cases to a high standard and have a medical mind-set, as well as being competent with emergency surgeries sole-charge.
- Good personal skills are essential and the candidate will be encouraged to maintain continuity with clients and see cases through to a conclusion.
- They have a great relationship with the daytime teams in the hospital and branch practices, and have developed strong bonds with their member practices. It is therefore vitally important that the vet who joins them has excellent communication skills and understands as well as values the importance of teamwork.
- Working alongside experienced and dedicated ECC RVNs who are both friendly and excellent team players.
- They recognise the importance of achieving work life balance and have developed a sustainable rota that reflects this concept, which involves working an average of 10-12 thirteen hour shifts each month.
- Although experience in emergency care or ECC Advancer Practitioner status is preferred this is not essential and funding towards an ECC certificate will also be considered
- Salary subject to experience and Certificate/Advanced Practitioner Status
- Holiday of 5.6 weeks per year equivalent to 17 shifts per year, based on your average weekly working hours
- Annualised hours system (to be discussed on application)
- CPD allowance £1500
- Auto enrolment pension scheme
- Support for a Certificate if required and training agreements considered
- RCVS, VDS and BSAVA membership